International coaching expert and motivational Christian speaker, Dr Bill Price shares how church coaching can make a huge difference in being an effective Christian witness.
There are many articles on Church Coaching these days, including How can Church Coaching Help You and 11 Reasons Every Church Leader Needs A Coach. This never used to be the case, but more and more church leaders are recognising how much of a game changer coaching in ministry can be. I believe in the purpose and power of Coaching and mentoring in Today’s Church and the immense benefits it can bring to extending God’s Kingdom.
Firstly there are a number of general benefits that apply to any organisation, church or ministry that engages the services of a professional coaching provider.
- Coaching initiates a high degree of focus on specific outcomes, expectations are assessed and measured. Organisational culture will be examined and training deficits identified. Coaching can then be provided aligned to internal performance processes.
- The organisation will be influenced to accept coaching and mentoring as a better way of management, creating more effective communication, better focus, co-operative relationships, higher levels of mutual understanding and productivity towards desired outcomes. These can facilitate: higher staff retention especially of key personnel and volunteers; effective succession planning; more effective knowledge management; increased productivity / community impact; and increased focus of all concerned;
- Timely talent supply for leadership positions will be a reality;
- Better inter-personal working relationships within the organisation;
- Less risk when appointing new candidates into critical positions due to the accuracy of the coaching / mentoring process which is integrated into the company culture.
- Reinforcement of organizational cohesiveness.
Specific benefits of church coaching
- Each member will have a greater connection and clarity to their personal life plan, personal values and beliefs that drive that process;
- Each small group can have their leader trained as an experiential coach who helps people integrate;
- Better understanding of personal strengths and weaknesses;
- Better insight of talent set, legacy, life plan fused with business and church-life plan so they now understand the integration as a whole;
- Greater self and life-insight and perspective;
- Improvement in personal dynamics effectiveness and productivity and in marriage and family relationships;
- Greater awareness and consciousness is increased to enhance more meaningful connection;
- Improvement in parenting skills and style that will enhance mutual and beneficial and respectful relationships;
- Improvement in the handling life’s realities;
- Strategic thinking and systemic thinking to create a generation of people that are not co-dependent on leadership;
- Greater connection to the overall vision of the house and linked into the values of the community yet still treated like adults and not policed or controlled by a system;
- Personal life and work balance in sync with their destiny and purpose without having to be driven;
- Improved personal skills and self mastery. (God honours a person that can control their spirit more than he who takes a city);
- Far greater focus and clarity knowing when to say YES and when to say NO, without guilt or judgement;
- Becoming far more personally accountable;
- Better prioritisation;
- Increasing self-esteem and better linked to their personal identity in God;
- Small group leaders and ministry leaders becoming more effective in public speaking. (Based on the whole brain, whole being approach) and communication and personal confidence levels;
- Achieving goals in shorter periods of time;
- Stopping procrastination; and
- Creating greater sense of personal growth and meaning throughout the church and ministry
Imagine the power and impact the local Church can have if each member is aware of the benefits of coaching and mentoring within a spiritual context. Imagine if we were to transfer these principles back into the world of work and our external spheres of influence… in this way the local church will practically impact and affect daily life and achieve greater reach for the Kingdom of God.
If you would like to get in touch with Dr Price to discuss your church coaching requirements or would like him to speak on the topic, please email firstname.lastname@example.org